Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chicken pox, measles, allergic reaction????

Thursday, when I picked Caleb up from daycare, his teacher showed me some small red pumps on his back, legs, and tummy.  She said that there were very few that morning, but it got worse as the day went on.  Alex and I saw nothing while getting him dressed for school early that morning.

They said he must been seen by a doctor before returning, which I am fine with.  I am not one of those mothers who wants to send my sick child to school.  Well, that night the rash got worse. 

By Friday morning he was covered, and I mean covered with these raised, red bumps.  At first we were sure he had chicken pox, but as Friday went on and the rash was getting even worse, I began to think it might be the measles.  What...measles. 

Needless to say, I was feeling awful at this point, and you can imagine how my poor baby was feeling (see pictures below). I called the doctor before our appointment to warn them that I thought measles was a possibility, and they had us come in when no one was in the office. 

Well, the diagnosis is.......an allergic reaction.  Yes, this was caused by allergic reaction to something he ate.  I am not quite sure yet what that could have been, but I am thoroughly looking into it.  Possibly a blueberry nutrigrain bar.  Which is odd because he has eaten blueberries and other flavored nutrigrain bars before.

WARNING...the rash is terrible, worse then terrible.  It started out as small red bumps and has progressed very rapidly to large reddish purple patches.  They look like those scary pictures you seen on the internet while doing a google search.  Those awful pictures you cringe at when you see them and my sweet baby boy is covered.

  Friday morning
Friday morning
Early Friday afternoon
Saturday morning
Saturday afternoon
Early Saturday evening


My poor, poor baby.  As you can imagine, he has been pretty miserable.  It is definitely bothering him in every way.  Most of all when he is trying to sleep.  We have not done much of that. 

I wish this was me and not him.  It is such an awful feeling to see your child so uncomfortable and not be able to do much about it.  He can take benadryl and claritin and that is about all we can do. 

I am in so much pain seeing him like this.  I can't imagine how he is feeling.  Not to mention, he really can't tell me.  It is just heartbreaking every time I look at him or hold him to soothe him.

Let's hope there is an end to this very soon!






4 comments:

  1. Poor Poor Mommy and Caleb!! It's miserable seeing your baby hurting! I wish for a speedy recovery for your litle man - and your sanity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO, SO, SO sorry!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!!! Bless your hearts! I had no idea :( Is he better now??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...Stacy, you were busy giving birth to twins:) He is much better and back to his oldself. The rash was gone by Monday.

      Delete