Sunday, April 8, 2012

First ER Trip

Two weeks ago my fourth grade students took their first round of the new state test, the STAAR test.  They take the Writing first, in which they test for 2 days.  Day 1 went pretty well, but day 2 was much different.  The test is timed this year, and we started promptly at 8:15.  At 9:15 our principal came over the loud speaker and said the we had to go to code yellow.  That means lock doors, don't open for anyone, and continue teaching.  Well you can imagine how that frazzled my kiddos, but they did keep working.  Apparently there was something going on at the local high school, which is not far from us, so we were just taking a precaution.  Right after the code yellow call came in, Caleb's daycare called and said that he had fallen and would need to be taken to get stitches.  Needless to say, I was not aware of this.  I was not told until after the code yellow was over, and we were back in code green, but I won't get into how I feel about that.  I rush out of my class, they are still testing, and leave to go get Caleb. 

Once I get to his school, I walk into see that he is doing very well.  They had stopped the bleeding and said that he was a champ.  He was in a rolly chair of all things pushing himself around.  Somehow he got caught up and fell out of the chair and fell into the corner of a cabinet.  It sliced the top of his ear pretty good.

I took him to Children's Medical in Dallas because he needed to be seen by a blood disorder doctor first. His blood does not clot like it is supposed to. His doctor said it would be best to take him down to the ER for stitches.  This was scary because that would mean he would need a medicine to make sure his blood would clot, and he has not had to take this yet.  Anyways, after being checked out by the ER doc, it was determined that glue would work.  And it did.  His ear has healed very nicely, and we are very thankful for that.

 This was after four people had to wrap him in a sheet so that the doctor and intern could clean and glue his ear.  He was screaming bloody murder.  This was incredibly hard to stand.

After his ear had been glued, and it was drying

Letting the glue do it's magic


We were there for over three hours.  It was quite difficult trying to keep him entertained in that ER room.  We were not in the waiting room.  To top it all off, they wouldn't let me give in snacks for the first hour in case they had to put him under.  Once it was decided that he would not need stitches I let him munch on anything and everything I had to keep him happy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment